You’ve frequently heard about the health benefits of walking, but unfortunately, many of us see it as a boring activity that we do alone.
You’ve frequently heard about the health benefits of walking, but unfortunately, many of us see it as a boring activity that we do alone. However, there are a number of ways to make walking fun, lose weight and reap some wonderful health benefits!
Fun you say? Yes, fun! Consider these suggestions:
- Get a friend to join you – Exercise is always more fun when you have a friend along – and you may not even notice how far you’re gone or how long you’ve been walking when you’re engaged in conversation.
- What about Fido? Stop letting your dog out the back door and put him/her on a leash – then let him/her take the lead and just try to keep up! You’ll both get more fit.
- Make it a game – Take an uncharted path or walk until you see five “For Sale” signs. Play a new game every day.
- Walk to the music – Take along an MP3 player and walk to the music. Speed it up to a fast song and slow it down a bit to a ballad.
- Window shop while you walk – not only will you save money – you’ll get some great exercise as well!
- When it gets too cold or hot – head to an indoor shopping center to walk. Walk along each level and take the stairs – no escalators – that’s cheating!
- “Read” a book while you walk – get an audio book and you’ll be looking forward to each day’s chapter as you get in shape.
- Change the times when you walk so it’s not so routine – morning sunrise one day, lunch break another or after dinner.
- Give yourself a reward – monetary or other – to make walking rewarding as more than just exercise!
Walking can be fun and great exercise to relieve stress, to lose or maintain weight and to give yourself a feeling of accomplishment. And if you’re able – walk to our Keysborough Pain Relief and Wellness Centre Office for your regular chiropractic appointments to stay healthy physically, mentally and emotionally.